Carlos Alcaraz’s status as two-time defending Wimbledon champion ended after he lost to Jannik Sinner on Sunday evening
The Spaniard was no match for an imperious Sinner, who registered a masterclass in baseline control and court cover to knock Alcaraz off his perch.
It was only a month ago that Alcaraz saved three match points against Sinner in the French Open final before going on to add a fifth Grand Slam to his collection, a match which added more layers to a ‘special’ rivalry.
Following the Wimbledon final, it will now be the Spaniard seeking revenge when the US Open rolls around in August.

Ahead of the US Open, one journalist told the Spaniard not to do something which may hamper his chances of completing the career Grand Slam.
David Law tells Carlos Alcaraz not to play exhibitions before the Australian Open 2026, ‘it’s stupid’
Despite losing the Wimbledon final, Carlos Alcaraz remains just one Grand Slam victory away from completing the career Grand Slam: victory at the Australian Open.
Only eight male players have achieved the landmark in tennis history: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Roy Emerson, Rod Laver, Andre Agassi, Fred Perry and Don Budge.
The achievement consists of winning all four Grand Slams and acts as a hallmark of player’s ability to play on all surfaces.
David Law, speaking on the Tennis Podcast after Sinner’s victory over Alcaraz, discussed who will achieve the career Grand Slam first: Iga Swiatek, Carlos Alcaraz or Jannik Sinner.
Law said: “I think I would go Alcaraz. I think he’ll regroup, and I hope he has a sensible off-season or whatever that is. You know, something.
“Just to recharge and come out firing in Australia. Well, not playing a load of exhibitions in the middle of goodness knows where, you know?
“I don’t know what all that’s about. I think it’s stupid. He’s got enough money.
“He played Madison Square Garden last year. Was that at the end of the season? He played in Charlotte against Frances Tiafoe.
“He plays in the Middle East and stuff like that. I just think, just rest up and make sure you’re ready to go in Australia.”
The King of Spain congratulates Carlos Alcaraz on his Wimbledon performance
Following the loss, a member of Spanish royalty took time to congratulate the Spaniard on his Wimbledon 2025 performance.

An account concerning information about the activities of the Spanish Royal Family and the House of King Felipe VI of Spain, said: “The King has congratulated Carlos Alcaraz after the Wimbledon 2025 final for his great participation in the tournament.
“Thank you Carlos Alcaraz! You have made us enjoy another thrilling final by giving your very best.“
The King made more headlines in June, after naming tennis legend Rafael Nadal as Marquess of Llevant de Mallorca.