Sean Dyche has said Evertonâs new owners should be exploring managerial options because he has not won enough games this season to keep the pressure off.
The Everton manager spoke with representatives of The Friedkin Group (TFG) after Saturdayâs defeat at Bournemouth, which extended the teamâs dismal run to one win in 11 ÂPremier League games. Dyche was given no indication his job is under threat, or reassurances to the contrary, but accepts it must be a consideration for TFG given the size of Everton and the results.
Asked about a report that TFG is reviewing his position he said: âTo be clear, it should be. If youâre a business of this size and a club of this size, succession planning should be part of their diligence. That is absolutely a valid thing to be doing. Nothing makes me feel weird about that at all. If I owned it, I would be saying to my chief executive: âWhat happens if?â Thatâs right across the club. Weâve got to win games. We havenât won enough this season. That comes down to me, without any shadow of a doubt.â
Dyche, who is out of contract at the end of the season, believes âthere is a reality to the situationâ with TFG and that it is conscious of the âextenuating circumstancesâ he has worked under at Everton. Equally, the reality of three league wins all season and of failing to score in eight of the past 11 matches presents the owners with a dilemma in their attempts to restore stability.
âIâve had my knocks, you know that, and Iâm still taking loads of them,â Dyche said. âResilience is a strange thing in life and I have plenty of it. Itâs how you handle it and trying to always support the club. The club is always bigger than me. Iâm a custodian. So far, Iâve handled it pretty bloody well, I think. So now, can I go and win some games? Can we take it on another level? Can I change the narrative? Can I reinvent what weâre trying to do to take it on another level? Thatâs the biggest challenge at the moment.â
after newsletter promotion
The Everton forwards Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Youssef Chermiti will miss Thursdayâs FA Cup third-round game against Peterborough through injury. With the loan signing Armando Broja a doubt, Beto, who has been linked with a return to Italy, could be the only available striker. Dyche refused to be drawn on a potential move for the Aston Villa winger Jaden Philogene.






