Fabrizio Romano has revealed Napoli have made âdirect contactâ with Manchester United following an injury to Romelu Lukaku and revealed Ruben Amorimâs âclear planâ.
Lukaku has injured his thigh in pre-season and Napoli boss Antonio Conte is desperate to bring in a new striker to cope with the former Manchester United and Chelsea starâs absence.
And the reigning Serie A champions have held talks with Manchester United on Monday over a move for Rasmus Hojlund, who didnât make the squad for the Red Devilsâ opening day defeat to Arsenal.
Romano also revealed that despite reports linking Joshua Zirkzee with an exit this summer, United want to retain him in a âclear plan by Amorimâ.
Romano wrote on X: âNapoli had direct contact with Man United today following Romelu Lukakuâs injury as heâll be out more than 3 months. Napoli asked for loan deal conditions for Rasmus HĂžjlund. Man United want to keep Joshua Zirkzee, no talks despite links today. Clear plan by RĂșben Amorim.â
Ben Jacobs later confirmed that United may listen to loan moves despite wanting his permanent exit.
He wrote on X: âManchester United want Hojlund to depart. ÂŁ40m asking price, but #MUFC could yet entertain a loan under the right conditions despite the preference to sell.â
Andre Onana was also left out of the squad against Arsenal, with Altay Bayindir starting and costing the Red Devils a point to pile the pressure on the goalkeeping department at Old Trafford.
Pressed on Onanaâs absence, Amorim confirmed after the game: âNo, no heâs not injured, heâs recovered⊠but the other players did well during pre-season, so I have to find a balance.â
MORE MAN UTD COVERAGE ON F365âŠ
đ 16 Conclusions on Manchester United 0-1 Arsenal: Gyokeres, Mbeumo, Martinelli, ÂŁ100m Fernandes
đ Man Utd mediocrity erodes interest; Ruben Amorim MUST deliver top six
đ Neville tells Man Utd to sign ÂŁ40m PL star to fix âglaring issueâ for two reasons as starter ânowhere nearâ
Despite this, Romano claimed Onanaâs âfeelingâ is that he was left out of Unitedâs squad because he is ânot at 100% form yetâ.
âRuben Amorim after the game said they didnât drop Onana. At the same time, I can tell you that the feeling of those close to Onana is that it was because Onana is still recovering from injury and is not at 100% form yet,â Romano said on his YouTube channel.
âAnd he accepted the decision. He doesnât believe itâs to do with transfers. Also because Onana is not in any active talks with another club.
âThere was some interest in Saudi at the beginning of the window. He accepted the decision of Amorim but itâs another story next week.â
But the Cameroon may be offered the chance of an exit according to The Sun, who claim former club Inter âare interested in re-signing a player who was a massive success in Italyâ, whom United signed from them for ÂŁ46m in the summer of 2023.
The report adds:
âInter chiefs believe Onana â who joined United after that defeat in Istanbul in a ÂŁ47million deal â would be open-minded to a return to the San Siro.
âInter replaced Onana with Yann Sommer who also impressed in the Italiansâ run to last yearâs Champions League final, in which they were smashed by Paris Saint-Germain.
âBoss Simone Inzaghe quit to join Saudi side Al Hilal after the mauling, and replacement Christian Chivu is understood to be keen to bring in a new No 1.â