Neymar picked in Brazil squad for 2026 World Cup but João Pedro misses out

Neymar picked in Brazil squad for 2026 World Cup but João Pedro misses out

Neymar will make his fourth World Cup appearance after Brazil named him to their 26-man squad on Monday. The decision was not guaranteed as questions surrounded Neymar’s fitness since his anterior cruciate ligament tear more than two years ago.

The Brazil coach, Carlo Ancelotti, said that Neymar “has improved his fitness” after the squad announcement at a gala in Rio de Janeiro. “He will be an important player in this World Cup.”

Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 79 goals, the 34-year-old rejoined his boyhood club Santos last year after a stay with Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal. Neymar has scored eight goals across his three World Cups in 2014, 2018, 2022 and will try to guide the Seleção to their first title since 2002.

The Chelsea forward João Pedro was the most notable omission from the squad. Some expected he would make his first World Cup roster at 24 years old, and he has played for Brazil in international competition in the lead-up to this cycle, but Ancelotti favoured Neymar, Real Madrid’s Vinícius Júnior, Bournemouth’s Rayan, Brentford’s Igor Thiago and others at that position.

“It was very difficult to choose these 26 players,” said Ancelotti. “Why? Because the competition in this country is very, very high. I know some players who have been with us this year will be unhappy.”

OR

Scroll to Top