Leicester City’s legal battle with the Premier League continues to rumble on as both parties formally lodged appeals related to this month’s decision by an independent commission to deduct the club six points.
It is understood the league believes Leicester should be punished additionally for the late submission of their annual accounts for 2023-24, to avoid setting a precedent, and said an appeal board will “urgently” hear the case to ensure it is resolved before the end of the English Football League season in May.
Leicester, six points worse off for breaching profitability and sustainability regulations, are now in the Championship drop zone, fighting against successive relegations.
The club’s appeal is understood to include their belief that the EFL should not be able to impose a sanction on behalf of the Premier League, after the rules were changed last year.
Leicester privately acknowledged the league pushed for a substantial punishment to be imposed, at one point believing it would support a potential 20-point penalty. After the hearing the disciplinary commission appeared to acknowledge Leicester were in breach of rules by delaying the submission of their accounts, but did not regard it as an aggravating factor.
In a statement confirming the appeals, the Premier League said: “To provide certainty for all clubs and fans, the Premier League will be seeking to have the appeal resolved urgently, and in any event before the end of the EFL season.”
The appeals come 24 hours after Gary Rowett was appointed Leicester’s head coach until the end of the season. His first game in charge is at one of his former clubs, Stoke, on Saturday. Leicester are 22nd, in the final relegation place, and two points from the last safe spot with 14 games to play.







